[Openstack] can instances be resized?

Mark mail at lists.macscr.com
Sun Sep 1 19:59:12 UTC 2013

Only a small number of applications support clustering, so its very unreasonable to expect to be able to just add instances to resolve every resource limit issue. I obviously understand that when resizing, you are though limited to the resources of a single host for ram and CPU. I plan on using ceph for storage and no ephemeral storage as my compute nodes wont have any local storage. I see zero value in destroying a vm, then recreating it with a new size. That doesn't sound like a resize at all. Might as well tell the client its not possible and to cancel their product and order again, which is obviously something most people would find unreasonable.

You might be right that open nebula is a better fit for me design wise, but unfortunately, its a project that I see losing a lot of momentum due to the popularity of openstack.

- Mark