[Openstack] Promoting the role of +1 reviewers in our community

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Oct 30 11:07:41 UTC 2013

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:08:03AM +1100, Tom Fifield wrote:
>> [...]
>> I think it's time to bend that focus slightly, and promote the role
>> of the +1 reviewers. Every review that a non-core reviewer does
>> helps reduce the burden of core reviewers just that little bit.
>
> It absolutely does, and is much appreciated by us core team
> members.
>
>> Do you see this too? How can we help encourage more +1 reviews?
>
> It is a tough question. You don't want to put up strict rules since that
> is typically counterproductive. Perhaps the biggest carrot to encourage
> more +1 reviews, is that it is a stepping stone to becoming a core team
> member. eg if you find yourself in the top-10 reviewers on nova for an
> extended period of time you'll likely get an invitation to become a
> core team member from Russell.

Fully agree. You don't really want to see noise +1s from people who did
not really look into the proposed change but just want to get whatever
carrot would be given to +1 reviewers.

> Looking at our wiki page
>
>   https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/How_To_Contribute#If_you.27re_a_developer
>
> it is very much focused around that idea that you have to write code or
> do code fixes to become involved. It isn't really mentioning contribution
> via reviews at all. It merely mentions "learn gerrit" and use it to sign
> the CLA.
>
> Similarly this page
>
>   https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Gerrit_Workflow
>
> only mentions review in the context of what happens to *your* patch.

Agreed. The "how to contribute" page was supposed to be completely
overhauled anyway -- we should just include reviewing as one of the
promoted activities there.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)