[Openstack] grizzly dnsmasq forward problem

kody abney bagelthesmart at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 19:40:52 UTC 2013

Hello, I'm having an issue right now, or maybe it's a configuration error.

Here's my problem, ( I'm using a fully deployed opentstack grizzly env with
segmented networks
and one cc controlling XX number of computes clustered )

All of that works fine, we love openstack. One thing though we are trying
to work around
is the dns / dhcp issue. When you run an env as such, not using some form
of internal dns is pretty insane.
Whether it's a puppet server or a monitoring tool, dns is essential. I've
tried a few setups
trying to use an external DHCP server, but seems this is not really an
option. ( Perhaps Havana release changed some things, just haven't had time
to check it out. But have yet to find a successful document )

What I've decided to do as a simple solution for now ( or I thought it
would be ) is
simply use an internal dns server running (bind probably, or mydns), and
sending the compute nodes dnsmasq process to the other dns server for
requests. So openstack will handle the dhcp, but send the dns to the server
I want which is fine with me, we have internal scripts for dynamic updates
unrelated. I'm wondering if this setting is hard coded some where,
I've been digging but haven't found anything.

I've specified this simple setting in the nova.conf of the compute node (
which I thought should work ),

#dns tests
dhcp_domain=devtest
dhcp_lease_time=480
dns_server=10.5.20.15

Why I thought perhaps it's hard coded some where to use the host ip is
because of I grep the process after restarting it, this is the output.

"/usr/sbin/dnsmasq --strict-order --bind-interfaces --conf-file=
--pid-file=/var/lib/nova/networks/nova-br101.pid --listen-address=10.5.20.3
--except-interface=lo
--dhcp-range=set:int-net,10.5.20.2,static,255.255.255.0,480s
--dhcp-lease-max=256
--dhcp-hostsfile=/var/lib/nova/networks/nova-br101.conf
--dhcp-script=/usr/bin/nova-dhcpbridge --leasefile-ro --domain=alchint
--no-hosts --addn-hosts=/var/lib/nova/networks/nova-br101.hosts --no-resolv
--server=10.5.20.15

It shows it should be sending requests to the server, but the vm will still
get the compute nodes IP for nslookups. Although the vm will display the
correct domain name, so it passes some information.

I've looked through "/usr/share/pyshared/nova/network" manager.py but
couldn't find an explicit
declaration. Not sure if I'm taking the wrong approach, and there's a
simple error. As the documentation is pretty lacking, we've had to figure
out most of it. I'm in the process of creating an individual dns_masq.conf
custom file to specify to nova..(maybe the flags it provides on default
conflict with my desired result) Just wondering if someone had this issue.

Thanks in advance for any assistance / guidance in the right direction,
we're proud active members of the open source community.

Regards