[Openstack] Grizzly -> Havana nova upgrade failure: Cannot drop index 'instance_uuid'

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Tue Oct 29 04:50:21 UTC 2013

On 10/28/13 6:17 PM, Joshua Hesketh wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have a patch in the works against this that will hopefully fix your problems:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/54212/
>
> One of the gotchas though will be if you have already ran migration 185 you
> can't run it again (even if it failed because it'll try and do operations that
> it got part way through before).
>
> Once the patch is merged you may have to restore your database to a previous and
> run the upgrade again.

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the patch.  I went back to a mysqldump from a week ago and loaded it
into MySQL and dropped the new shadow_security_group_default_rules table.
However, I'm getting the same failure, even though that constraint is gone:

mysql> show create table instance_info_caches \G
        Table: instance_info_caches
Create Table: CREATE TABLE `instance_info_caches` (
   `created_at` datetime DEFAULT NULL,
   `updated_at` datetime DEFAULT NULL,
   `deleted_at` datetime DEFAULT NULL,
   `id` int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
   `network_info` mediumtext,
   `instance_uuid` varchar(36) NOT NULL,
   `deleted` int(11) DEFAULT NULL,
   PRIMARY KEY (`id`),
   UNIQUE KEY `instance_uuid` (`instance_uuid`),
   CONSTRAINT `instance_info_caches_instance_uuid_fkey` FOREIGN KEY
(`instance_uuid`) REFERENCES `instances` (`uuid`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB AUTO_INCREMENT=202 DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8

mysql> alter table instance_info_caches drop index instance_uuid;
ERROR 1553 (HY000): Cannot drop index 'instance_uuid': needed in a foreign key
constraint

Looking at my dump from a week ago, it appears there's two identical constraints
with different names:

   CONSTRAINT `instance_info_caches_ibfk_1` FOREIGN KEY (`instance_uuid`)
REFERENCES `instances` (`uuid`),
   CONSTRAINT `instance_info_caches_instance_uuid_fkey` FOREIGN KEY
(`instance_uuid`) REFERENCES `instances` (`uuid`)

Blair