[Openstack] Instances created without any networks assigned

Igor Cardoso igordcard at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 16:36:38 UTC 2013

Hello.

I am having a very weird problem when trying to create and boot new
instances, in Havana.
No networks are assigned to these instances, so they fail while spawning.

I have a controller node, network node and compute node.
I do not have nova-network installed anywhere. Neutron is installed in the
network node. I tried to follow the official guide the best I could, trying
to fill in some gaps that remain there with the Grizzly documentation.

I have a virtual router in Neutron connected to my external network and
being a gateway to my internal network, associated with a tenant. Neutron
seems to be okay because I can ping the virtual router via my laptop,
directly connected to the physical external network.

However, when I create a new instance via CLI or Horizon, it never gets a
network assigned. I can see the correct network topology in Horizon, and
assign my internal network when creating a new instance. But after it is
created, the "assigned" network is not assigned!

Here is my "nova list" with 1 failed instance:
+--------------------------------------+------+--------+------------+-------------+----------+
| ID                                   | Name | Status | Task State | Power
State | Networks |
| 9ff7067b-fbdb-453e-bca9-7aeae1ef0cc0 | x3   | ERROR  | None       |
NOSTATE     |          |

As you can see, no networks were assigned.

Please, can you point me in some direction or ask me about specific
configurations?
Thank you.
--
http://igordcard.blogspot.com