[Openstack] Migrate instances/tenants between clouds

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Thu Oct 24 17:51:45 UTC 2013

Have you tried

- snapshot
- glance download of the snapshot
- glance upload of the snapshot to new instance
- boot from snapshot

The process we use at CERN is documented at http://information-technology.web.cern.ch/book/cern-cloud-infrastructure-user-guide/images/migrating-using-images

This could be a good technique to document in the standard CERN openstack user guide.

BTW, this does increase the storage in your glance server since you'll loose any commonality between multiple images. So, make sure you've lots of space on Glance.

Tim