[Openstack] Neutron ML2 plugin Ubuntu package?

Kyle Mestery (kmestery) kmestery at cisco.com
Mon Oct 21 13:04:41 UTC 2013

On Oct 21, 2013, at 4:33 AM, Darragh OReilly <darragh.oreilly at yahoo.com> wrote:

> is there a Ubuntu package for the Neutron ML2 plugin? I can't find it in the Havana cloud-archive on Precise.
>
> vagrant at precise64:/$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cloudarchive-havana.list
> deb http://ubuntu-cloud.archive.canonical.com/ubuntu precise-updates/havana main
> deb-src http://ubuntu-cloud.archive.canonical.com/ubuntu precise-updates/havana main
>
> vagrant at precise64:/$ apt-cache search neutron | grep -i ml2
> vagrant at precise64:/$
>
> vagrant at precise64:/$ apt-cache search neutron-plugin
> neutron-plugin-bigswitch - Neutron is a virtual network service for Openstack - BigSwitch plugin
> neutron-plugin-brocade - Neutron is a virtual network service for Openstack - Brocade plugin
> neutron-plugin-cisco - Neutron is a virtual network service for Openstack - Cisco plugin
> neutron-plugin-hyperv - Neutron is a virtual network service for Openstack - Hyper-V plugin
> neutron-plugin-linuxbridge - Neutron is a virtual network service for Openstack - linuxbridge plugin
> neutron-plugin-linuxbridge-agent - Neutron is a virtual network service for Openstack - linuxbridge plugin agent
> neutron-plugin-metaplugin - Neutron is a virtual network service for Openstack - Metaplugin plugin
> neutron-plugin-metering-agent - Neutron is a virtual network service for Openstack - metering plugin
> neutron-plugin-midonet - Neutron is a virtual network service for Openstack - Midonet plugin
> neutron-plugin-mlnx-agent - Neutron is a virtual network service for Openstack - mlnx plugin agent
> neutron-plugin-nec - Neutron is a virtual network service for Openstack - NEC plugin
> neutron-plugin-nec-agent - Neutron is a virtual network service for Openstack - NEC plugin agent
> neutron-plugin-nicira - Neutron is a virtual network service for Openstack - Nicira plugin
> neutron-plugin-openvswitch - Neutron is a virtual network service for Openstack - Open vSwitch plugin
> neutron-plugin-openvswitch-agent - Neutron is a virtual network service for Openstack - Open vSwitch plugin agent
> neutron-plugin-plumgrid - Neutron is a virtual network service for Openstack - PLUMgrid plugin
> neutron-plugin-ryu - Neutron is a virtual network service for Openstack - RYU plugin
> neutron-plugin-ryu-agent - Neutron is a virtual network service for Openstack - RYU plugin agent
> neutron-plugin-vpn-agent - Neutron is a virtual network service for Openstack - vpn plugin
>

> I installed neutron-server thinking that it should now default to ml2, but it is ovs:
>
> vagrant at precise64:/$ cat /etc/default/neutron-server
> # defaults for neutron-server
> # path to config file corresponding to the core_plugin specified in
> # neutron.conf
> NEUTRON_PLUGIN_CONFIG="/etc/neutron/plugins/openvswitch/ovs_neutron_plugin.ini"
>
> Any ideas?

Hi Darragh:

I'm not familiar with Ubuntu packaging, but I hope the Ubuntu packagers
change the default to ML2 soon. The plan is to deprecate the OVS and
Linuxbridge plugins during the Icehouse cycle. Defaulting to ML2 earlier
would be an ideal goal as well. For example, devstack now defaults to ML2
instead of OVS if you use Neutron without specifying a specific plugin.

Thanks,
Kyle