[Openstack] [openstack][nova][glance] Avoid Image Copying

Zhi Yan Liu lzy.dev at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 18:25:28 UTC 2013

Hello Srujana,

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Srujana C P
<srujana_cp at persistent.co.in> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> We have a requirement wherein we will clone an image and register the cloned
> image into glance from file location using x-image-meta-location. However,
> file location option has been removed for security reasons.
>
> So, We are planning to include two parameters in glance.conf , which enables
> file access according to configurable parameter and allow access to specific
> directories.
>
> For Example:
>
> flag_access = enable/disable
>
> access_paths=path1,path2,etc.,

For Glance part, this approach is make sense to me, and I prefer you
attend to glance weekly-meeting to get other folks' input (you
probably could create a BP firstly to describe details)

> And while booting a vm ,we want to avoid copying the image from glance  to
> the Hypervisor (_base folder) for performance reasons .
>
> For this, we are planning to add a new parameter in nova conf file based on
> which we will skip copying image to the Hypervisor and boot from image
> location which is registered in glance.
>
> For Example:
>
> skip_copy_toHypervisor=enable/disable
>

> Any suggestions/thoughts on this would be very helpful.

For Nova part, you can refer:

1. https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/image/glance.py#L66
2. https://review.openstack.org/#/c/33409/
3. https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/image-multiple-location