[Openstack] SAML support in OpenStack

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Wed Oct 16 02:10:13 UTC 2013

On 10/14/2013 09:56 AM, Rok Kralj wrote:

> *Hello OpenStack community,*
>
> As you might remember, some time ago we had a quick discussion about
> supporting the SAML 2.0 protocol for identity management in
> federations as this is the protocol of big importance in business
> enterprise. At first, the discussion gained a fair amount of interest.
> Just to refresh our minds, here is the reference to the discussion on
> the mailing list:
>
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack/2013-August/000401.html

This is not the first, nor is it the only time that SAML has been
discussed.  There has been an ongoing effort toward a general approach
toward Federation, with SAML being the dominant protocol in the
space...but not the only one.

We have a Federated Identity BLueprint that we have been working on for
a long time: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/keystone/+spec/federation

Note the dependency chart at the bottom:  we are not going to implement
a SAML specific solution in a vacuum, but rather integrated into a
general Federation approach.

The short of it is that a SAML assertion (or other document bearing
Authorization attributes) will be mapped to as set of the objects we
have in the Identity backend.  These will be mapped to "user has role in
project" and similar authorization attributes just as the LDAP and SQL
based backend are currently mapped.

There is mod_auth_saml and other Apache based modules that we can use
for Native code.  We will not be supporting custom native code in
Keystone, but we can make use of libraries that are in the major
distributions.  I don't think mod_auth_saml currently meets the needs of
Keystone, any more than mod_authN_ldap would, but it is a pointer in the
right direction.

This discussion belongs on the opentack-dev, and not the general
openstack ML.