[Openstack] Swift sharding across containers

Shrinand Javadekar shrinand at maginatics.com
Thu Oct 10 04:11:44 UTC 2013

Thanks Chuck.

In order to really measure this, I ran some tests on Rackspace; i.e. I got
a VM on Rackspace and that VM was talking to a Rackspace Cloudfiles-US
swift cluster. The VM and object store were both in the Chicago region. The
downside of using a public object store is that I have little idea about
the configuration of Swift being used. But installing and configuring one's
own enterprise class Swift cluster is no child's play either (to put it
mildly :D).

In the first experiment, 128 threads were continuously trying to write 1
byte blobs into N containers where N was in (1, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512). The
experiment ran for 15 minutes. The experiment was run thrice for each N and
the results below are the average of three runs.

[image: Inline image 1]
The number of writes completed in 15 minutes if ~87K for a single
container, whereas when these writes are sharded across 32 containers, this
# is ~135K.

The second experiment was to find out whether Swift becomes slower as the
number of objects in a container increases. To do this, I measured the time
it was taking to write blobs in a single container. Here again, I ran the
experiment three times and the graph below is the average of the three runs.

[image: Inline image 2]

If a container has less than 1.6M blobs, the average time to write a blob
is ~12.58ms whereas if the container has > 1.6M blobs, the average time to
write a blob is ~13.29ms. The trend definitely seems to be that as number
of objects increase, the time to write also increases.

I guess the absolute number may differ depending on factors like memory,
CPU, disk (SSD's vs rotational) of the servers running swift. But the
relative numbers give a better picture of the benefits of:

i) Sharding across containers to increase throughput
ii) Restricting the number of objects per container

Let me know if I have missed out on anything or if there are more
experiments to run that would make Swift #awesome!!

-Shri