[Openstack] Cells use cases

Chris Behrens cbehrens at codestud.com
Thu Oct 3 18:42:20 UTC 2013

On Oct 3, 2013, at 10:23 AM, Subbu Allamaraju <subbu at subbu.org> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Can you comment on scalability more? Are you referring to just the RPC layer in the control plane?

Not just RPC, but RPC is a big one.  Cells gives the ability to split up and distribute work.  If you divide hypervisors into different cells, in each cell you have less connections to rabbit, less work for the host scheduler to find a suitable hypervisor, etc.  You also mentioned 'failure domains' and that can be a good reason to use cells as well.  I felt that the multi-DC or multi-continent scenario where you want your nova-api endpoints to see ALL instances (as opposed to multi-region with keystone) was a good use case for cells.  You should want services to talk to each other with low latency.  Each cell has its own rabbit and DB that you can keep 'close by'.  Sure, you can cluster/HA/replicate rabbit and 1 big DB, but those technologies fail and when the fail, they tend to fail badly.  Cells can isolate issues to a subset of your cloud.

- Chris