[Openstack] Hanava: boot from ISO not working

Ruediger Rissmann ruediger.rissmann at switch.ch
Fri Nov 29 12:44:49 UTC 2013

I have a problem booting an instance from an ISO image. This works well
in our folsom cloud, but its not working on out havana cloud. I have an
ISO image uploaded and try to create an instance from it. Images are
store on an rbd volume. the instance hangs with

Boot failed: could not read the boot disk
I traced the problem down to the content of the libvirt.xml file. The
problem seems to be the following config setting:

<disk type="network" device="disk">
If I create an instance from the same libvirt.xml file and just change
the "disk" to "cdrom" the instance is booting.

I found a few bugs related to booting form ISO, but I am not sure this
one is related to one.

Is this a known problem, or just a misconfiguration on my side?

Any help on solving this is appreciated!

--
SWITCH