[Openstack] [Nova] Proposed removal of the PowerVM driver

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Mon Nov 25 16:14:00 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 5:10 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>wrote:

> Chuck Short wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com
> > <mailto:mikal at stillhq.com>> wrote:
> >
> >>     So, a few questions...
> >>
> >>      - If there are no users shall we remove it from Havana and Grizzly
> as
> >>     well, or does that violate our stability principles too much?
> >

> > Speaking with my stable maintainers hat on I would personally NACK this
> > since
> > it doesnt meet the standard of a stable maintenance requirement, imho.
>
> It definitely doesn't meet our stable maintenance rules. We want people
> to be able to safely upgrade to the latest stable/* when they are users
> of the release. We don't add new features, removing them would be even
> worse.
>
> >>      - If we don't remove the code from stable, what about removing all
> >>     references from the stable docs and putting in a warning saying that
> >>     powervm is a dead end instead? I want to minimise confusion on the
> >>     part of people deploying stable releases.
> >
> > This would be okay in my opinion.
>
> At the very minimum I would add the "dead-end" comment to the Havana
> release notes. If Anne is fine by it, it could also be added to the
> stable/havana version of the docs.

PowerVM was mostly documented in developer docs in the nova repo. It also
has entries in the Configuration Reference in the nova.conf options tables
from our autodoc process. Those will just stay in the stable/havana repo,
but I'm okay with backporting a note to stable/havana with a clear message
as to the driver's fate. We also have a mention of PowerVM in
stable/grizzly where we could also place a note. Release notes are a good
place for this as well, thanks Russell.

Tracking with https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1254780 --
feel free to add the nova project as well to ensure the docs in the nova
repo are removed.

I do want to point out that we don't have adequate documentation of other
drivers, like Hyper-V and Xen, just want to make sure you all know there
are gaps and documentation isn't the indicator of "acceptance" of a
hypervisor driver.
Thanks -
Anne