[Openstack] [Nova] Proposed removal of the PowerVM driver

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Nov 25 11:10:16 UTC 2013

Chuck Short wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com
> <mailto:mikal at stillhq.com>> wrote:
>
>>     So, a few questions...
>>
>>      - If there are no users shall we remove it from Havana and Grizzly as
>>     well, or does that violate our stability principles too much?
>

> Speaking with my stable maintainers hat on I would personally NACK this
> since
> it doesnt meet the standard of a stable maintenance requirement, imho.

It definitely doesn't meet our stable maintenance rules. We want people
to be able to safely upgrade to the latest stable/* when they are users
of the release. We don't add new features, removing them would be even
worse.

>>      - If we don't remove the code from stable, what about removing all
>>     references from the stable docs and putting in a warning saying that
>>     powervm is a dead end instead? I want to minimise confusion on the
>>     part of people deploying stable releases.
>
> This would be okay in my opinion.

At the very minimum I would add the "dead-end" comment to the Havana
release notes. If Anne is fine by it, it could also be added to the
stable/havana version of the docs.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)