[Openstack] [Nova] Proposed removal of the PowerVM driver

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Nov 22 18:35:17 UTC 2013

On Friday, November 22, 2013 11:50:11 AM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> I'm not a user but is there any more details on why it was removed, seems like it would be nice to know more reasoning than "it doesn't fit our (internal/unknown) strategic goals" at IBM. Seems rather sad that a driver can be removed with more detail around why.
>
> Sent from my really tiny device...
>
>> On Nov 22, 2013, at 6:49 AM, "Russell Bryant" <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> The maintainers of the PowerVM driver have proposed that it be removed
>> from Nova.  Their reasons are:
>>
>> - it is no longer in line with IBM's strategic direction with OpenStack
>>
>> - they are not aware of anyone ever having used the driver (outside of
>>    the team that developed and maintained it)
>>
>> The second point is quite important.  If anyone is using it that they do
>> not know of, we need to find out.  Normally we would approach something
>> like this with a phased deprecation plan (mark it deprecated in
>> Icehouse, remove it in J).  There is a non-zero cost to keeping the
>> code, so if we can remove it immediately, there is some benefit to Nova
>> development.
>>
>> If you have an interest in this driver, please speak now.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Russell Bryant

Let me point out some details on this.

IBM's strategic direction is to invest in PowerVC [1] and is developing
blueprints for review in Icehouse to work with the PowerVC
virtualization manager, similar to VMware's approach with integration
of vCenter with OpenStack.  That includes CI support.

Given the deprecation plan [2] we can follow that schedule as we work
with the community to get support on how best to support IBM's PowerVM
hypervisor through the strategic path.

We are interested in your thoughts on how to best proceed to make this
an effective transition to the strategic PowerVC driver.

[1] www.ibm.com/systems/power/software/virtualization-management/
[2]
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/HypervisorSupportMatrix/DeprecationPlan

Matt Riedemann