[Openstack] OpenStack - Debian have automated installation, Ubuntu do not, why?

Chuck Short chuck.short at canonical.com
Thu Nov 21 13:48:22 UTC 2013

Hi

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 7:33 PM, Martinx - ジェームズ
<thiagocmartinsc at gmail.com>wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I'm a "Ubuntu evangelist", my entire family uses Ubuntu!
>
> But, I trying to understand one thing:
>

> 1- Why OpenStack packages for Ubuntu is very "manual intensive", while on
> Debian it is fully automated (with dbconfig-common / better packaging)?
> Why?!
>

> There is no automation for Ubuntu but, OpenStack on Debian is fully
> automated... The keystone users and endpoints managed automatically by
> Debian (db syncs, mysql, etc), but not by Ubuntu...

The packages do enough to get the services running.

> Is there any special reason to not automate Ubuntu OpenStack packages,
> just like Debian does?

The goal of the Ubuntu OpenStack packages to make it easily deploy in large
environments either using juju (preferred option ;),  puppet, or chef. In
order to do this we keep the packaging simple and let the service
deployment/configuration management tool to do the setup of OpenStack based
on their environment.

That being said we think that keystone users and endpoints should not be
managed by debconf since most users who deploy at a large scale will not
use them in their deployments.

> Cheers!
> Thiago

If you have any questions please let me know

chuck