[Openstack] [SWIFT] managing the ring.gz files?

Stephen Wood smwood4 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 23:16:18 UTC 2013

John, thanks for the good tips. I have a few followup questions.

During propagation do all of the ring.gz files need to be updated and
synchronized simultaneously? Is there a fuzzy-time period allowed where
some swift storage boxes can be using the old ring and others can be using
the new ring? What are the repercussions of such a time?

Also, are there issues with making the files read-only and simply hosting
them from an NFS share?

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 3:08 PM, John Dickinson <me at not.mn> wrote:

> I've heard of a few ways:
>
> 1) use existing puppet or chef or fabric or salt or dsh scripts to treat
> them like normal config files
>
> 2) use rsync to sync the ring files every so often (eg via cron)
>
> 3) host a web server on the admin box where you made the scripts and wget
> or curl them in the swift cluster
>
> 4) as you mentioned, store them in a VCS and fetch/pull/checkout/whatever
> on the storage nodes
>
> 5) deploy the builder files and generate the rings locally (be sure to set
> the same seed!)
>
> Basically, the problem is moving a file from one place to many places.
> There are a lot of ways to do this.
>

> --John
>

> On Nov 18, 2013, at 2:48 PM, Stephen Wood <smwood4 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > I am wondering how others manage the {account|container|object}.ring.gz
> files for large deployments. Specifically, how do you propagate these files
> once a change is made?
> >
> > I am manually copying them out to every node after a change, but that
> does not seem very practical to me. I could store them in some scm system,
> but I have a feeling someone out there has already given this some thought
> and can give me advice.
> >
> > --
> > Stephen Wood
> > www.heystephenwood.com