[Openstack] [Heat] Locked Outputs

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Wed Nov 13 15:18:00 UTC 2013

On 13/11/13 04:08, Andrew Plunk wrote:
> Alright.
>
> The problem:
> ----------------
> If a program generates a password, and displays it on a screen over and over again, it is more susceptible to being compromised.

OK, this is something we can work with, thanks :)

> Possible solutions:
> ----------------
> 1).Provide a way to limit the availability of stack outputs returned from heat.

This is IMHO a bad idea. Amongst other things it will cause chaos with
nested stacks in combination with the multi-region feature coming up.
It's not even a particularly good solution to the problem - what if the
time you needed it was the second, not the first? (Maybe you
accidentally clicked away, or maybe a connection dropped the first
time.) What if you really need the password again later? What if the
first time you viewed it (when it really does show the password) you
didn't click away but just left it sitting around visible?

> 2).Provide a way to express metadata about stack outputs returned from heat.

This could involve something like a "Sensitive: true" field in the
Output schema. Heat would ignore it but pass it on to clients so that
something like the dashboard could e.g. require an extra click to show
it, and hide it again after a timeout.

Alternatively, as lifeless points out, you could pass the password in
using a hidden input. That's the currently supported way, and I suspect
the better one in most cases.

cheers,
Zane.