[Openstack] [TROVE] - Difference between Backup and Snapshot

Craig Vyvial cp16net at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 17:01:08 UTC 2013

A snapshot and backup are basically analogous terms in trove.

A backup snapshot[1] is a copy of the database data that is stored on the
volume or locally on the instance and backed up to swift at a point in time.
Trove stores the location of the backup so that a user can restore a
database to a new instance.

There is another blueprint to support incremental backups.[2] Which will
allow point in time restore/recovery of data.

Hope this helps.

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/trove/+spec/consistent-snapshots
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/trove/+spec/incremental-backups