[Openstack] AuthN/AuthZ

Sill, Alan alan.sill at ttu.edu
Wed May 15 21:34:46 UTC 2013

Aaron,

I'd be interested in hearing more about what you are doing.  As you know, VOMS is a general method of supplying virtual organization membership attributes (e.g., groups, roles, etc.) as a web service. One method of doing this is in the form of extended attribute certificates, which can be fitted into any PKI or Kerberos-based workflow in principle. Other methods to make use of VOMS information may exist through portals and other related methods of accessing the features of the stored attributes through web services calls.

The more general question you are asking, though, is about Auth plugins and interfacing external auth. I know several user communities that are completely committed to use of strong authentication and for which a well-designed set of interfaces that can support this are required items. One doesn't want to lose generality in producing such interfaces, though, so I would be interested in seeing how the openStack community is responding to the design topics for this aspect of authN/authZ integration.

Alan