[Openstack] Share Glance between cells or regions

Craig Lee lee at aero.org
Wed May 15 19:59:38 UTC 2013

All,

We've been working on a Virtual Organization (VO) capability to allow
federated OpenStacks.  So far, we've concentrated on just federated data
access, having modified Keystone and Swift on both the server and client
sides.  The are a number of further distributed/federated capabilities
that one can imagine, e.g., authorizing one Keystone to instantiate VM
through a remote Nova.

Obviously, any type of resource federation requires security federation.
  In the general case, this requires federated identity management, as
David Chadwick at Kent has been working on.  This type of federation is
somewhat different than just sharing a Keystone or Glance among multiple
instances, but is arguably more general.

I would really like the OS community to achieve some rough consensus
about what kinds of federation models are desirable and how to build them.

--Craig