[Openstack] Changing the location of Nova's instances

Daniel Ellison daniel at syrinx.net
Wed May 15 12:24:23 UTC 2013

Hey all,

Is there a method for changing where Nova looks for its instances? When setting up my Openstack system I don't recall there being a choice as to where instances would be stored. As it happens, they're in /var/lib/nova/instances. My server is set up such that /home is a 6TB LVM volume, whereas /var/lib lives on the relatively tiny root disk.

I would like to move all instances into /home/storage/nova/instances. Of course, I would shut down all instances and copy everything to the new location. But how do I convince Nova that things have changed? Also, the various libvirt.xml files have references to /var/lib/nova/instances. Is it a manual process to change these references? Or is there some magical migration command that would fix everything for me? :)

Thanks,
Daniel