[Openstack] Understanding the metadata service

Greg Chavez greg.chavez at gmail.com
Mon May 13 18:36:08 UTC 2013

Even after reading all the posts and IRC chatter regarding how to
configure VM metadata services, I'm no closer to understanding how
this should be set up in *my* environment. As it stands, my VMs are
fully functional (available from external network via floaters) but
cannot connect to 169.254.169.254.

I am running Grizzly on Raring, with per-tenant routers,
ip-namespaces/overlapping-ips, GRE tunneling, and a separate network
node with three NICs for public, management, and vm config nets.
Also:

I have nova-api installed on the compute node.  It is listening for
8775 on the controller's management network.

The relavent configurations:

controller nova.conf:
----------
service_quantum_metadata_proxy = True
quantum_metadata_proxy_shared_secret = PvUafKreIImX3OePynlc
metadata_host = 192.168.241.100
metadata_listen = 192.168.241.100
metadata_listen_port = 8775

net-node quantum.conf / dhcp_agent.ini / l3_agent.ini
----------
allow_overlapping_ips = True

net-node metadata_agent.ini
----------
nova_metadata_ip = 192.168.241.100
nova_metadata_port = 8775
metadata_proxy_shared_secret = PvUafKreIImX3OePynlc

compute nodes nova.conf
service_quantum_metadata_proxy = True
quantum_metadata_proxy_shared_secret = PvUafKreIImX3OePynlc

What am I missing here?  Thanks in advance.

--
\*..+.-
--Greg Chavez