[Openstack] New code name for networks

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Mon May 13 16:28:19 UTC 2013

On 05/13/2013 11:03 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 5:48 PM, Anne Gentle <anne at openstack.org
> <mailto:anne at openstack.org>> wrote:
>

>     On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 3:12 PM, Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com
>     <mailto:mordred at inaugust.com>> wrote:
>

>         On 05/11/2013 04:07 PM, Asher Newcomer wrote:
>         > Or even better, just continue to call it openstack networking.
>         The code
>         > names only serve to confuse the uninitiated. They needlessly
>         steepen the
>         > learning curve and slow uptake.
>
>         The problem with OpenStack Networking (or getting rid of
>         codenames) is
>         seen with pre-incubation->incubation->integrated cycle.
>
>         A project cannot call itself "OpenStack Foo" until it actually _is_
>         openstack foo. So any new project by necessity has to start off as
>         something else.
>
>         But - if we then require them to drop that name and become
>         openstack foo
>         when they become incubated or integrated, then we've got what's
>         become a
>         stable project with a decent amount of contributors renaming itself.
>
>         Every. Time.
>
>         The code names aren't just cute. I kind of wish they were,
>         because it
>         would make several things much easier if we could just ditch
>         them and do
>         a pure openstack. code namespace. But the reality is that it
>         gets really
>         really tricky to deal with a bunch of things if they go away.
>

>     I told Monty and the TC this at the Summit (sorry I couldn't attend
>     the session about code names). I find this trickiness a weak
>     argument in the face of the invented names that are getting to be as
>     bad as U.S. pharmaceuticals. Plus it forces us to put a "lookup"
>     table in the docs forever. [1] Let's find a process for naming that
>     meets a few reqs:
>     - describes the service
>     - goes through a legal review
>     - enables new eyes to understanding it by reading the English word
>     that the service represents (that can be translated into a
>     meaningful word in other languages)
>
>     If we have to preface with Stackforge to indicate pre-incubation,
>     that's fine. Use Incubating or some such to indicate incubation.
>     Meaningful words have meaning.
>

> +1
>
> Use a namespace package "openstack" then each project has a unique
> package under that for their meaningfully named package (compute,
> networking, etc.).
>
> We only have to rename projects if they start out with "bad" names to
> begin with. Projects that want to be integrated should be developing on
> stackforge and using the openstack namespace package.

It's just logically infeasible. If we were to make that choice, I'm
pretty sure we'd have to stop everything that everyone is doing and just
deal the fallout from doing it.

In any case - we did have a session on this at the summit, and we did
lay out a strategy for moving forward. The etherpad is here

https://etherpad.openstack.org/ProjectsReNaming

tl;dr - we are going to rename quantum to a new codename, and we are
going to do our best as a community to lessen the external usage of our
codenames.

>     I acknowledge we still have to indicate what commands, daemon names,
>     and so on are related to a particular service. That issue is also
>     fixable with some resources and effort and pays off in easier
>     adoption and understanding.
>

> The unified command line project will resolve the command issue because
> all commands will be "openstack $noun $verb" (end users shouldn't have
> to know which OpenStack component owns a resource in order to operate on
> it via the command line). Daemon startup scripts could use a similar
> framework, or just a naming convention ("openstack-compute-api",
> "openstack-network-api", etc.).

I agree - having the unified command line client will be very helpful to
lessening our externally-facing usages of code names.