[Openstack] New code name for networks

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Sun May 12 20:57:18 UTC 2013

Don't get me wrong... I don't disagree with you. I think lawyers are super important. At the risk of "some of my best friends are..." I took the lsat a few years ago (did quite well ;) ) with a view towards law school and my girlfriend is in law school. TOTALLY respect for lawyers.

I don't want to keep lawyers away from the project any more than I want to keep business people away. What I do want to do is keep random lawyers away from implementation details of our source code repositories.

Here's the rub... The technical leadership of the project has no body from which it can receive legal counsel. The foundation has counsel, but that is different than the TC having actual counsel to whom we can give intent direction and receive advice. We have many interested and involved parties who are top lawyers, and I regularly talk with them. But they're all quite clear that they cannot directly advise us as the collected technical leadership.

So we are in a sticky situation of needing to make decisions that have actual technical ramifications, and that may have legal consequences, but no counsel to whom we can give priorities and direct to help us find solutions.

From the foundation perspective, the risk/reward is clear, and from that perspective discussions with counsel can proceed. But in addition to a board who can have an executive session with counsel to which privilege attaches, the foundation has executive director who can also have privileged discussions. Those are from a particular POV, and it's a totally valid one.

The technical leadership, OTOH, does not have this ability, nor are we interested in doing things in private. We are tasked with technical leadership, which is what we intend to do.

So, with all due respect to the many awesome lawyers who are involved with the project, what I'm getting at is that we need to do the right thing as best we can based on unofficial advice from well meaning people who may or may not have legal backgrounds as well as input and help from Jonathan Bryce and the foundation board where appropriate.

I wish there was a more straightforward way to approach this, but it's not a straightforward situation. However, maybe if we play our cards right and are conscientious in our approach to the problems we can help forge ground for more people who want to run a thing like we are without getting into too much trouble along the way.