[Openstack] swift and disk usage

Christian Schwede info at cschwede.de
Sat May 11 08:14:37 UTC 2013

Hi Paras,

Am 08.05.13 22:02, schrieb Paras pradhan:
> Thanks Christian. How do we keep track of the usage? For example with 5
> nodes i.e 40TB. How do we know how much space has been consumed out of
> this 40TB?

well, that depends on the used authentication scheme. If you are using
swauth and don't have thousands of users, this gist might help you:

https://gist.github.com/cschwede/5559268

It reports the used bytes for every account and the total size. Please
note that the returned account list is not sorted.

On the other side you can simply monitor all of your disks, sum up all
used byte values and divide by the number of replicas (3).

You might also use account_quotas, which blocks further write requests
if the quota on an account is exceeded. It is especially useful for
smaller private storage clusters.

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/swift/misc.html#module-swift.common.middleware.account_quotas

Christian