[Openstack] swift and disk usage

Christian Schwede info at cschwede.de
Wed May 8 19:44:22 UTC 2013

Am 08.05.13 21:18, schrieb Paras pradhan:
> I have a three nodes swift cluster. I can see the objects being
> replicated to all three nodes.  Each node has 12 2TB disks. Since I
> have 3 replicas the usable space is only 24TB ?

Yes, that's correct.

> How this will scale up if we add two more storage nodes of the same
> capacity?

5 * 12 * 2 / 3: ~ 40TB usable capacity.

> Also, is there any tool to monitor the usage, health of the whole
> cluster?

To detect failed drives you might have a look at
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/swift/admin_guide.html#detecting-failed-drives

For Swift-related monitoring please refer to
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-object-storage/admin/content/ch_introduction-to-openstack-object-storage-monitoring.html

For general node monitoring you can use your preferred tool (Nagios,
Icinga, Shinken, RHQ, Hyperic...).