[Openstack] launching multiple VMs takes very long time

Steve Heistand steve.heistand at nasa.gov
Wed May 1 19:54:04 UTC 2013

so I dont think there is a network or disk bottle neck now.
in watching instances launch I see that the disk image itself gets copied out to the compute
node in < 1 minute, the xml file for libvirt gets created. then a pause of ~ 20 minutes
then the kvm process starts up and off the VM goes just fine.
aside from messages like:
2013-05-01 19:43:40.363+0000: 2377: warning : virAuditSend:135 : Failed to send audit message virt=kvm vm="instance-0000014c" uuid=d72afa21-844a-4ea0-8b96-0a4e5e4da5eb vm-ctx=? img-ctx=? model=stack: Operation not permitted

and these dont start until the kvm process starts,  I see nothing in the logs.
but then I dont have debug on which I will do next.

what is causing the pause in between is the question.  hopefully debug on will help.

On 05/01/2013 11:43 AM, Rick Jones wrote:
> On 05/01/2013 10:43 AM, Steve Heistand wrote:
>> there may be some network issues going on here, trying to shove some amount of data
>> bigger then a few Gig seems to start slowing things down.
>
> If you think there is an actual network problem, you could I suppose try
> exploring that with netperf or iperf.  It seems unlikely that the
> network could retain a "memory" of a previous transfer to cause a
> subsequent, non-overlapping transfer to run more slowly.
>
> The logs on the compute node(s) will show how long it took to actually
> retrieve the image yes?
>
> rick jones

 Steve Heistand                           NASA Ames Research Center
 SciCon Group                             Mail Stop 258-6
 steve.heistand at nasa.gov  (650) 604-4369  Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000
 "Any opinions expressed are those of our alien overlords, not my own."

# For Remedy                        #
#Action: Resolve                    #
#Resolution: Resolved               #
#Reason: No Further Action Required #