[Openstack] nova-api-metadata on compute node with folsom

Aaron Rosen arosen at nicira.com
Fri Mar 29 07:22:12 UTC 2013

Hi,

I believe you have this setup on the wrong node. When the VM does a request
to 169.254.169.254 this will end up on the network node. On the network
node you need that iptables rule  and nova-api-metadata installed and
running.

<snip>
> My questions are:
>
>    - Am I missing something simple here?
>    - Is nova-api-metadata really functioning as metadata server on my
>    compute host? (seems not to be the cause of the problem but just checking).
>    - Is there any plan for Grizzly to have the routing of the metadata
>    request on the localhost automatically set when nova-api-metadata is
>    present ?
>
> Yup, in Grizzly there is a quantum metadata proxy agent that will proxy
the request to your metadata server so you don't need nova-api-metadata
running on localhost. It  will also allow metadata to work with overlapping
ip.

>    - Why my routing rule doesn't apply here?
>
> Quick question what type of networking are you using? VLAN/GRE/FLAT?
I suspect you're using GRE(overlay) which is why this isn't working.