[Openstack] [nova-network] add-network-to-project

Ajiva Fan aji.zqfan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 04:45:06 UTC 2013

Thanks vish

I think it is better not to modify the wsgi file which is depended by
others, it will not be safe for other extensions

My opinion is that only modify the networks extension, for example, add
project-id along with network-id in body, so the NetworkController.add()
use the project-id from body instead from context. (This solution is
mentioned in my mail on Mar 8.)

There is a danger that if a admin:user-project pass the authentication and
since he is a admin role, then he can associate any network to any project,
or i may have some misunderstand of the authentication. If only admin:admin
has a valid authorize on the networks extension, then this is safe.( ps, i
think the option you mentiond to check context.is_admin will have the same
problem if admin:user-project's context will set is_admin to True)

best wish.

ps:
Detail why add project-id in body is not safe is listed bellow:
Here is my knowledge from following the extension's authentication:

in the networks.py
there is a function pointer:
authorize = extensions.extension_authorizer('compute', 'networks')

and in the class NetworkController.add() function, it invokes

authorize(context)

in nova.api.openstack.extension.extension_authorize(), it says: (in essex
it is the same)

def extension_authorizer(api_name, extension_name):
    def authorize(context, target=None):
        if target is None:
            target = {'project_id': context.project_id,
                      'user_id': context.user_id}
        action = '%s_extension:%s' % (api_name, extension_name)
        nova.policy.enforce(context, action, target)
    return authorize

in the /etc/nova/policy.json, the networks extension's rule is:
"admin_api": [["is_admin:True"]],
"compute_extension:networks": [["rule:admin_api"]],

the nova.openstack.common.policy will _check_rule(), _check_role() and
_check_generic(), and for the _check_generic, it will check
context["is_admin"] == True.

nova.api.auth.NovaKeystoneContext will instance nova.context.RequestContext
with a self.is_admin = nova.policy.check_is_admin(self.roles), while the
check_is_admin only invoke nova.openstack.common.policy.enforce() to check
if it has a role named "admin", so if
keystone.middleware.auth_token.pyfill the header with a "admin" in
"X-Roles", this will be authorized. Which
i think admin:user-porject will be valid.