[Openstack] Allocating dynamic IP to the VMs

Sylvain Bauza sylvain.bauza at digimind.com
Mon Mar 25 13:03:10 UTC 2013

Le 25/03/2013 12:49, Chathura M. Sarathchandra Magurawalage a écrit :

> I have got one question on this. Does quantum directly request leases
> from the gateway of the physical network before reserving them to
> allocate to VMs?

Nope, not at all. It's up to the administrator to make sure the IP
ranges for Openstack are not pooled by any other DHCP server. There is
(as per my knowledge) no way to sync up in between quantum-l3-agent and
other DHCP servers.

Actually, contrary to fixed ip networks in Quantum, floating IP networks
are not DHCP managed. Eligibility is made upon next IP address available
in Quantum mysql database and directly injected into iptables, that's it.

-Sylvain