[Openstack] DHCP release

David Hill david.hill at ubisoft.com
Sat Mar 23 01:53:45 UTC 2013

Hello Kevin,

Thanks for replying to my question.   I was asking that question because if we go there: http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/configuring-vlan-networking.html  and look at the very bottom of the page, it suggests the following:

# release leases immediately on terminate
force_dhcp_release=true? (did I miss something?)
# one week lease time
dhcp_lease_time=604800
# two week disassociate timeout
fixed_ip_disassociate_timeout=1209600

I tried that and if you have at some creation/destruction of virtual machines, let's say 2046 in the same week, you'll end up burning the 2046 IPs because they're never disassociated.  At some point, nova-network complains with "no more fixed IP are available".  Changing fixed_ip_disassociate_timeout to something smaller solves this issue.
Is there any reasons why fixed_ip_disassociate_timeout should be bigger than dhcp_lease_time?

Also, I thought that by destroying a virtual machine, it would release/disassociate the IP from the UUID since it has been destroyed (DELETED).  I've turned on the debugging and with fixed_ip_disassociate_timeout set to 600 seocnds, it disassociate stale IPs after they've been deleted for at least 600 seconds.  Is it a bug in our setup/nova-network or nova-network/manage relies on the periodic task that disassociate stale IPs in order to regain those IPs?

Finaly, wouldn't it be better to simply disassociate a released IP as soon as the VM is deleted?  Since we deleted the VM, why keep it in the database?

Thank you very much,

Dave