[Openstack] Making networking decision on new OpenStack install

Willard Dennis willarddennis at live.com
Fri Mar 22 20:31:31 UTC 2013

Hi all,

We’ve been playing around with a single-server install of (Folsom) Devstack, and have now decided to do the deal and create a multi-node OpenStack installation. The installation is going to be for research use for a single tenant (the owning research dept) and should not grow that much in physical nodes.

In any case, being StackNewbs™ we would like to keep it simple and follow a good known recipe. Thankfully there’s now a OpenStack Operations Guide we can use to get going 😊 However, I see that it uses the older ‘nova-network’ network model, and not the new Quantum framework. We do plan to use Folsom as our release; is it viable for a few-year lifetime to go with nova-network at this point, or should we really consider using Quantum? If Quantum is used, is there any instructions available to use that instead of nova-network in the Ops Guide type of installation?

Thanks for your input...

Will