[Openstack] DHCP release

David Hill david.hill at ubisoft.com
Fri Mar 22 17:59:19 UTC 2013

Hi guys,

                I'm experiencing some kind of weird behaviour with our openstack setup here.
Let me explain:
I create an instance that gets an IP: 172.0.0.3
I destroy the instance.
I recreate an instance that will get another IP: 172.0.0.4.

If I wait 600 seconds between each test, 172.0.0.3 will be attributed again instead of 172.0.0.4.

Would it be possible that the IP de-allocation relies on the periodic task to do some clean up?

I'm asking because actually this doesn't work:
force_dhcp_release=true
dhcp_lease_time=604800
fixed_ip_disassociate_timeout=1209600

If I do this and stress test my lab, I will eventually run out of IPs!

But this works:
force_dhcp_release=true
dhcp_lease_time=604800
fixed_ip_disassociate_timeout=600

I will eventually start seeing my previously attributed IP address instead of running out of IPs.

Am I reading an old document that is outdated?

Thank you very much,

Dave