[Openstack] Openstack Metadata Service

Gui Maluf guimalufb at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 19:05:09 UTC 2013

>>From what I understood, without the retrieval of the metadata from the
>server, the keys are not downloaded to the VM, is this correct?

Yes. This is correct.

AFAIK in Essex, the metadata service was pointed out through iptables.
So there was a rule that DNAT the metadata service to the CC machine.

I had this metadata problem too, but I couldn't find out a proper solution.
My guess is that this problem is related to the Gateway/Router in
Folsom+Quantum installation. Or maybe in the metadata_host in the
nova.conf file.

I hope someone could clarify this things for us.

regards.

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 7:32 AM, Bruno Parreira <bsendas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> We have deployed OpenStack using the guide provided at the OpenStack
> webpage:
>
> Host A : controller node
>
> Host B : network node
>
> Host C : compute node
>

> Everything went fine during the installation process, but when we try to
> instantiate a VM, the logs show that the VMs are unable to connect to the
> metadata service (169.254.169.254).
>
> We've tried this with the Ubuntu image and the Cirros image, but the result
> is the same.
>

> >From what I understood, without the retrieval of the metadata from the
> server, the keys are not downloaded to the VM, is this correct?
>
> Because we can ping the IP address assigned to the VM from the network node,
> and if we assign a floating IP to the VM, the public IP also responds to
> ping replys.
>
> But we are unable to ssh into the VMs, with the error: "Read from socket
> failed: Connection reset by peer"
>
> If we try to telnet into the public IP this is the result:
>

> controller at controller:~$ telnet x.x.x.x 22
>
> Trying x.x.x.x...
>
> Connected to x.x.x.x.
>
> Escape character is '^]'.
>
> SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.9p1 Debian-5ubuntu1
>

> Protocol mismatch.
>
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>

> Questions:
>
> In which node is the metadata service supposed to be running (compute,
> network or controller)?
>
> Should the IP address 169.254.169.254 be reachable outside the VM?
>
> Is there an alternative to the metadata service?
>

> Kind regards,
>
> Bruno Parreira

*guilherme* \n
\t *maluf*