[Openstack] Configuring More-than-One Cinder Node

Craig E. Ward cward at isi.edu
Tue Mar 12 18:10:04 UTC 2013

Logan,

Thank you for the response!

The high availability configuration documentation will be useful. The immediate
problem is less with high availability than performance enhancement.

Using the nova-controller and -compute model, I have one cinder node running
the api, scheduler, and volume services and the others only running the volume
service. The error in my configuration was that the iscsi_ip_address value was
set incorrectly; it pointed to the IP address of the "controller" node.
Changing it to the IP address of the host itself solved the problem.

As a recap, this is what I think it all means:

To run cinder services for a cluster on multiple nodes, pick on to the the
"controller:"
   openstack-cinder-api
   openstack-cinder-scheduler
   openstack-cinder-volume
   tgtd

On the rest of the cinder nodes, run:
  openstack-cinder-volume
  tgtd

I expect this to change for a high availability configuration. Is there,
however, anything particularly wrong with the configuration I described?

Thanks,

Craig