[Openstack] question on the GRE Communication

Logan McNaughton logan at bacoosta.com
Tue Mar 12 12:53:51 UTC 2013

For Quantum GRE tunneling, the network node and compute nodes need a NIC on
your data network. You assign each of those NIC's an IP (for instance,
192.168.1.1-3). Then (assuming you are using openvswitch with GRE
tunneling) you set up your quantum configs. Look at the Quantum
administration guide for an example of GRE tunneling with openvswitch.

After that you just let it work its magic. All VM traffic is encapsulated
inside GRE packets traveling between the nodes, it'll all look like packets
in that 192.168.1-3 network.

Once the packet reaches its destination node, the GRE encapsulation is
removed and the VM packet is read.