[Openstack] Configuring More-than-One Cinder Node

Craig E. Ward cward at isi.edu
Mon Mar 11 22:23:29 UTC 2013

I have an installation that wants to deploy two or more cinder nodes within an
OpenStack (Folsom) cluster. All of the hits I find on Google for configuring
cinder only describe how to configure the software for a single node. Is it
even possible to have more than one node running the cinder services in a cluster?

The setup I have has one of the cinder nodes identified as "the" cinder node to
the compute and other node types. A second node was installed and the cinder
services started.

On the nova controller node, however, while a new volume could be created that
was listed in the MySQL database as on the second node, all attempts to attach
that volume to an instance "silently" failed. The "nova volume-attach" command
would come back with an id and mapping of instance to volume, but the very next
"nova volume-list" command continued to show the volume in question as "available."

If the second cinder node had the cinder-volume service running, volumes on
that node could be deleted. If cinder-volume was not running, the "delete"
would go on forever.

Everything works as expected with only the cinder node configured in nova.conf
running, i.e. as a single cinder node installation. Volumes can be created,
attached, used, detached, and deleted.

Are there some extra parameters that should be set in either nova.conf or
cinder.conf to indicate that the cinder services are available on more-than-one
node? Or is what we're trying to do something unexpected and not supported?

Thanks,

Craig

--
Craig E. Ward