[Openstack] [OpenStack] How to speed up the instance launch time?

Mark Lehrer mark at tpsit.com
Wed Mar 6 14:46:47 UTC 2013

> are make in the compute node. So all this takes long an dis proportional to
> the image size. Is there any way to speed up this process? Is a SAN based
> backend the only way to go?

No, but if you have multiple compute nodes you will want to have them
all share /var/lib/nova/instances on a fast NFS server.  Make sure
that your glance machine is as fast as possible too.  I also mount
/tmp from /dev/shm which makes the snapshot process more tolerable,
but obviously this will require machines with lots of RAM to spare.

The change I made that helped the most was to disable NBD.  You have
to do this in /etc/init/nova-compute.conf and just comment out the
modprobe nbd line.

Mark