[Openstack] use of internal endpoint url instead of public url

Patrick Petit patrick.petit at bull.net
Sat Mar 2 12:09:18 UTC 2013

On Feb 13, 2013, at 6:14 PM, Mac Innes, Kiall wrote:

> On 13/02/13 17:07, Scott Devoid wrote:
>> We're also lacking support for setting --endpoint-type in keystone. In
>> my case, it's trying to use adminURL when publicURL is the only one
>> externally reachable.
>
> The keystone client doesn't use the --endpoint-type flag, since you have
> to supply a URL in the first place! Usually via an env var.
>
>> Are all of these effectively the same?
>> --os-endpoint <service-endpoint>
>> --endpoint-type <xURL>
>> --bypass-url <url>
>
> No. endpoint-type takes in a "type" (Either "publicURL", "internalURL"
> or "adminURL") and not an actual URL. This type is then used to lookup
> the URL from keystone's catalog.

Thank you the clarification!
So, that's what endpoint-type is used for… Sounds obvious once you know it.
I think it would work better if spelled out accordingly in nova help with something like:

--endpoint-type <endpoint-type>
                        Defaults to env[NOVA_ENDPOINT_TYPE]
			Allowed values are:   "publicURL" (default), "internalURL" and "adminURL"

--bypass-url <bypass-url>
                        Use this API endpoint instead of the Service Catalog's default endpoint URLs