[Openstack] Best OpenStack+VMware starting point?

Brad Knowles bknowles at momentumsi.com
Fri Mar 1 21:38:19 UTC 2013

Folks,

So, we're trying to figure out what would be the best starting point for us to try to implement the combination of OpenStack+VMware.  I found the pages at [1] - [6] etc..., and thought that this would be a pretty simple process.  And then we ran into various bugs and other problems, such as [7], [8], and [9] as well as discovering some other pages that were a mix of being both helpful and a little confusing and self-contradictory, such as [10], [11], [12], and [13].  This has been a week long process.

We're committed to testing Grizzly no matter what, and we're going to test with VMware no matter what, and I'm committed to doing my part to help get the documentation updated to properly support doing an installation of Grizzly (see [14]).

However, given our experience this past week, we're wondering what the best starting point would be for testing OpenStack+VMware, and what our chances are of getting a configuration that might be able to be considered "production ready" or at least "near production ready".

Am I correct in my feeling that grizzly-3 really is the best starting point right now?

Does anyone have any suggested starting points that may be able to help us get up and running more quickly on OpenStack+VMware?  Because the existing documentation on the VMware part seems to be a little self-contradictory and it's hard to know what really is the best and most current information.

Thanks!

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/folsom/openstack-compute/admin/content/vmware.html
[2] http://docs.openstack.org/folsom/openstack-compute/admin/content/hypervisor-configuration-basics.html
[3] http://docs.openstack.org/folsom/openstack-compute/admin/content/configuring-hypervisors.html