[Openstack] [Quantum] Scale out

Heiko Krämer kraemer at avarteq.de
Fri Mar 1 11:35:29 UTC 2013

Heyho Guys,

i'm trying to setup Openstack with Quantum. That's not a big deal and
all components are running but Quantum L3 agent and dhcp agent runs on
one node (network node). So this node are a GW for external and internal
traffic. This topology will be a bottleneck in the near future.
My goal is now to scale out Quantum on other nodes like nova-network.

My first idea was to create a second router and configure this router on
a second node (l3 agent router_id ) with a second external network (l3
agent network_id). I can use now a second network node with a second
router and second external network to balance the traffic between this
tow nodes.

So before i had: 1Gbit Uplink to WAN => 1 x network node with 1 ext NIC
Now: 2 x 1 Gbit Uplink to WAN => 2 x network node with 1 ext NIC

The main goal is to use the external NIC's of each compute node or of
many Network nodes but the maintainability, which vm or tenant are use
which network node, is not really good.

I would prefere i can Quantum scale out of the box and Quantum manage
port mapping on different nodes like a port scheduler mapper :)

Have anyone experience with that ? Ideas or network topologies ?

Greetings
Heiko

--
B. Sc. Informatik
Heiko Krämer

Twitter: @railshoster
Avarteq GmbH
Zweigstelle:
Prinzessinnenstr. 20, 10969 Berlin

----
Geschäftsführer: Alexander Faißt, Dipl.-Inf.(FH) Julian Fischer
Handelsregister: AG Saarbrücken HRB 17413, Ust-IdNr.: DE262633168
Sitz:
Science Park 2
66123 Saarbrücken

Tel: +49 (0)681 / 309 64 190