[Openstack] OpenStack Monitoring with Nagios

Matt Joyce matt.joyce at cloudscaling.com
Fri Jun 28 20:00:14 UTC 2013

Ceilometer is authoritative data taken directly from message bus queries
and keeps a back history, as opposed to nagios which does periodic finite
state checks.

Ceilometer is intended to be a log of transactions necessary to provide
billing information.  Or potentially an audit log.  Nagios is very
definitely not that.  So it would be a separate solution.

 They serve different purposes.  But they can certainly be used to agument
each other depending on what your goal is in monitoring coverage.

-Matt