[Openstack] HTTP headers are incorrectly treated case sensitive by jClouds causing OpenStack x-storage-url to fail

Jamie Lennox jlennox at redhat.com
Fri Jun 28 06:43:21 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-06-28 at 16:39 +1000, Jamie Lennox wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-06-27 at 17:00 -0700, Ali, Saqib wrote:
> > We are using the jclouds library for connection to OpenStack Swift
> > (grizzly) cloud storage, and are running into the following
> > issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-155
> >
> > We are using Apache web front for the swift proxy as defined
> > here:http://docs.openstack.org/developer/swift/apache_deployment_guide.html
> >
> > Essentially the issue is that the Apache web front (using mod-wsgi)
> > returns a lower case header (x-storage-url), whereas jClouds is
> > expecting it to be X-Storage-URL (case-sensitive).
> >
> > So the jClouds is being case-sensitive. When it shouldn't be.
> >
> > Is there anything we can do to work around this, while someone from
> > the jClouds community fixes this issue?
> >

> > This is a rather urgent issue. Any help will be highly appreciated.
>
> I have a middleware i use in testing which simply renames headers to do
> ProxyPass-ing env variables through apache. You'll need to modify it
> somewhat to get what you are looking for, but as a stop-gap you can use
> this:

proxy_env.py

import logging

LOG = logging.getLogger(__name__)

class ProxyEnv(object):
    """Middleware that rewrites env headers

    Particularly when using apache to forward requests you may have to
    put environment variables into HTTP headers. This middleware is a simple
    way of putting select variables back to hide the proxying from the app.
    """
    def __init__(self, app, global_conf, local_conf):
        self.app = app
        self.local_conf = local_conf
        self.global_conf = global_conf

    def __call__(self, env, start_response):
        # this deliberately sets the new header to None if the old doesn't
        # exist to prevent passing through unexpected headers.
        for old, new in self.local_conf.iteritems():
            env[new] = env.pop(old, None)

        return self.app(env, start_response)

def filter_factory(global_conf, **local_conf):
    """Returns a WSGI filter app for use with paste.deploy."""

    def proxy_filter(app):
        return ProxyEnv(app, global_conf, local_conf)
    return proxy_filter

configuration:

[filter:proxyenv]
  paste.filter_factory = keystoneclient.middleware.proxy_env:filter_factory
  HTTP_X_FORWARDED_REMOTE_USER = REMOTE_USER
  HTTP_X_FORWARDED_AUTH_TYPE = AUTH_TYPE