[Openstack] ip: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device

tudor tudor at tudorholton.com
Fri Jun 21 06:09:21 UTC 2013

Hello again Hua, and thanks for the help!

Firstly, my (2) is
identical to yours.

According to point (3) the user being used is the
default "root", so adding a user to the libvirtd group (1) doesn't seem
to make sense. Are you suggesting that something can't run or access
something else? If so, shouldn't there be an error message somewhere?

According to /etc/groups, "nova" is the only user of the libvirtd
group. Is this what you meant by all the chown hua:root commands?

(4)

e.g. Here's an outline of the ownserhip of the files you suggested I
chown below:

nova:nova /var/lib/nova/instances (and contents)

root:root /var/cache/libvirt

libvirt-qemu:kvm /var/cache/libvirt/*

glance:glance /var/lib/glance (and contents)

root:root
/var/lib/libvirt (and contents, except for...)

libvirt-qemu:kvm
/var/lib/libvirt/qemu

root:root /var/run/libvirt (and contents, except
for sockets, which are of group libvirtd)

root:root /etc/libvirt (and
contents)

/etc/sysconfig/libvirt does not exist. (Note this is Ubuntu,
not RedHat.)

root:root /usr/bin/qemu*

(5) As mentioned, my qemu is
1.0 which is greater than 0.15, no?

$ kvm --version
QEMU emulator
version 1.0 (qemu-kvm-1.0), Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Tudor.

On 2013-06-19 15:35, Hua BJ Zhang
wrote:

> Hi tudor,
>
> Generally speaking, I can fix qemu related
issues by bellow steps in most time, you can have a try, assume using
one common user named 'hua', good luck.

> 1) sudo usermod -a -G
libvirtd hua

> 2) [hua at oc2048760380 nova]$ sudo grep -A 5
"^cgroup_device_acl" /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf
> cgroup_device_acl = [

"/dev/null", "/dev/full", "/dev/zero",
> "/dev/random",
"/dev/urandom",
> "/dev/ptmx", "/dev/kvm", "/dev/kqemu",
> "/dev/rtc",
"/dev/hpet","/dev/net/tun",
> ]
>
> 3) [hua at oc2048760380 nova]$ sudo
grep -A 5 "hua" /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf
> user = "hua"
>
> # The group
for QEMU processes run by the system instance. It can be
> # specified
in a similar way to user.
> group = "root"
>
> 4) sudo chown -R
hua:root ~/data/nova/instances
> sudo chown -R hua:root
/var/cache/libvirt
> sudo chown -R hua:root /var/cache/glance
> sudo
chown -R hua:root /var/lib/libvirt
> sudo chown -R hua:root
/var/run/libvirt
> sudo chown -R hua:root /etc/libvirt
> sudo chown -R
hua:root /etc/sysconfig/libvirt*
> sudo chown -R hua:root
/usr/bin/qemu*

> 5) upgrade the qemu version into 0.15
> sudo yum -y
install
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6/os/x86_64/Packages/audiofile-0.2.6-11.1.el6.x86_64.rpm
[1]
> sudo yum -y install
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6/os/x86_64/Packages/esound-libs-0.2.41-3.1.el6.x86_64.rpm
[2]
http://pkgs.repoforge.org/qemu/qemu-0.15.0-1.el6.rfx.x86_64.rpm [3]

> 6) service libvirtd restart
>
> Best Regards.
>
> Zhang Hua(张华)

> Cloud Solutions
and OpenStack Development
> IBM China System and Technology Lab(CSTL),
Beijing
> E-Mail: zhhuabj at cn.ibm.com
> Tel: 86-10-82452020
> Address:
Building 28(Ring Building), ZhongGuanCun Software Park,
> No.8 Dong Bei
Wang West Road, Haidian District Beijing P.R.China 100193

> tudor
---06/19/2013 10:50:55 AM--- Hi Zhang,

Date: 06/19/2013 10:50 AM
> Subject: Re: [Openstack] ip: SIOCGIFFLAGS:
No such device
> Sent by: "Openstack"
> -------------------------

Hi Zhang,

> Thanks.
>
> I'm using QEMU emulator version 1.0
(qemu-kvm-1.0)

> I'm also getting a warning in
/var/log/libvirt/libvirtd.log when the instance starts up:

2013-06-19 02:44:45.827+0000: 2170: warning : x86Decode:1347 : Preferred
CPU model SandyBridge not allowed by hypervisor; closest supported model
will be used
> 2013-06-19 02:44:46.640+0000: 2170: warning :
virCgroupMoveTask:887 : no vm cgroup in controller 3
> 2013-06-19
02:44:46.640+0000: 2170: warning : virCgroupMoveTask:887 : no vm cgroup
in controller 4
> 2013-06-19 02:44:46.640+0000: 2170: warning :
virCgroupMoveTask:887 : no vm cgroup in controller 6

> Cheers,

Tudor.

> On 2013-06-19 11:47, Hua BJ Zhang wrote:
> Hi tudor,

seems that your vm doesn't have the nic. so suggest you check the log of
hypervisor.

> which type of hypervisor are you using? qemu? pls make
sure upgrade the qemu version into 0.15 just from my experience.

sudo yum -y install
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6/os/x86_64/Packages/audiofile-0.2.6-11.1.el6.x86_64.rpm
[4]
> sudo yum -y install
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6/os/x86_64/Packages/esound-libs-0.2.41-3.1.el6.x86_64.rpm
[5]
http://pkgs.repoforge.org/qemu/qemu-0.15.0-1.el6.rfx.x86_64.rpm [6]

> Best Regards.
>
> Zhang Hua(张华)

> Cloud Solutions
and OpenStack Development
> IBM China System and Technology Lab(CSTL),
Beijing
> E-Mail: zhhuabj at cn.ibm.com
> Tel: 86-10-82452020
> Address:
Building 28(Ring Building), ZhongGuanCun Software Park,
> No.8 Dong Bei
Wang West Road, Haidian District Beijing P.R.China 100193

> tudor
---06/19/2013 09:16:48 AM--- Hi,

> From: tudor
> To: ,
> Date:
06/19/2013 09:16 AM
> Subject: [Openstack] ip: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such
device
> Sent by: "Openstack"
>
> -------------------------
>
> Hi,

> I've asked this question a few times on the IRC channel, and I
have an open question on ask.openstack.org but so far noone has managed
to answer it successfully.

> I have installed OpenStack Grizzly on
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with Quantum and it is up to date with the Ubuntu
OpenStack respository.

> I have a simple problem: the network
interface is not being created when an instance starts up. Horizon seems
to think that the interface is correct. It lists:

---------------
> Officenet
>
> However, in the logs of the instance I
get:

> ip: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
>
> ...and the only
interface that exists inside the instance is lo.

> I don't appear to
get any obvious errors in any of the quantum or nova logs.

believe that quantum is supposed to create a tap port on the OVS bridge
specified by externel_network_bridge (br-eth1), but this is not
happening. The network physical port connected via eth1 has a hardware
DHCP server on it, but it doesn't appear to assigning a network device
on that bridge, so the DHCP request is not being forwarded.

> I have
included my quantum config, l3_agent.ini, and the output of ovs-vsctl as
I guess these are the most appropriate. (Removing commented-out
defaults)

> Other than solving my particular problem, I'm also
trying to understand the process that occurs here. What service
(nova/quantum/something else?) actually creates the port on the OVS
bridge and links it to the instance's virtual network device?

Thanks for the help,
> Tudor.
>
> Quantum.conf
>
> =========

[DEFAULT]
> # Show more verbose log output (sets INFO log level
output)
> verbose = True
>
> # Show debugging output in logs (sets
DEBUG log level output)
> debug = True
>
> # Address to bind the API
server
> bind_host = 0.0.0.0
>
> # Port the bind the API server to

bind_port = 9696

> # Quantum plugin provider module

core_plugin =
quantum.plugins.openvswitch.ovs_quantum_plugin.OVSQuantumPluginV2

# Paste configuration file
> api_paste_config =
/etc/quantum/api-paste.ini

> # The strategy to be used for auth.
> #
Supported values are 'keystone'(default), 'noauth'.
> auth_strategy =
keystone

> # AMQP exchange to connect to if using RabbitMQ or QPID

> control_exchange = quantum
>
> # If passed, use a fake RabbitMQ
provider
> fake_rabbit = False
>
> # IP address of the RabbitMQ
installation
> rabbit_host = 10.0.0.1
> # Password of the RabbitMQ
server

System Options =====================

> # Notifications can be sent
when network/subnet/port are create, updated or deleted.
> # There are
four methods of sending notifications, logging (via the
> # log_file
directive), rpc (via a message queue),
> # noop (no notifications sent,
the default) or list of them

> # Defined in notifier api

notification_driver = quantum.openstack.common.notifier.list_notifier

> # Defined in list_notifier
>
> list_notifier_drivers =
quantum.openstack.common.notifier.rabbit_notifier

> [QUOTAS]

L3_agent.ini

> ========
>
> [DEFAULT]
>
> # OVS

interface_driver = quantum.agent.linux.interface.OVSInterfaceDriver
> #
LinuxBridge
> #interface_driver =
quantum.agent.linux.interface.BridgeInterfaceDriver

> # The Quantum
user information for accessing the Quantum API.
http://10.0.0.1:35357/v2.0 [7]
> auth_region = RegionOne

admin_tenant_name = service
> admin_user = quantum
> admin_password =
password

> # Use "sudo quantum-rootwrap /etc/quantum/rootwrap.conf"
to use the real
> # root filter facility.
> # Change to "sudo" to skip
the filtering and just run the comand directly
> root_helper = sudo
/usr/bin/quantum-rootwrap /etc/quantum/rootwrap.conf

> # Allow
overlapping IP (Must have kernel build with CONFIG_NET_NS=y and
> #
iproute2 package that supports namespaces).
> # use_namespaces = True

use_namespaces = False

> # If use_namespaces is set as False then
the agent can only configure one router.
> # This is done by setting the
specific router_id.
> # router_id =
> router_id =
e263323d-ad1d-4930-8739-ebf80cef3f96

> # Each L3 agent can be
associated with at most one external network. This
> # value should be
set to the UUID of that external network. If empty,
> # the agent will
enforce that only a single external networks exists and
> # use that
external network id
> # gateway_external_net_id =

gateway_external_net_id = e1bbbcb1-e20d-48e5-ae89-823c1a485625

> #
Indicates that this L3 agent should also handle routers that do not have

> # an external network gateway configured. This option should be
True only
> # for a single agent in a Quantum deployment, and may be
False for all agents
> # if all routers must have an external network
gateway
> # handle_internal_only_routers = True
>
> # Name of bridge
used for external network traffic. This should be set to
> # empty value
for the linux bridge
> # external_network_bridge = br-ex

external_network_bridge = br-eth1

> # IP address used by Nova
metadata server
> # metadata_ip =
> metadata_ip = 10.0.0.1
>
> # TCP
Port used by Nova metadata server
> # metadata_port = 8775
>
> # The
time in seconds between state poll requests
> # polling_interval = 3
>

> ovs-vsctl show
>
> =========
>
> # ovs-vsctl show