[Openstack] ip: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device

tudor tudor at tudorholton.com
Wed Jun 19 02:51:22 UTC 2013

Hi Zhang,

Thanks.

I'm using QEMU emulator version 1.0
(qemu-kvm-1.0)

I'm also getting a warning in
/var/log/libvirt/libvirtd.log when the instance starts up:

2013-06-19
02:44:45.827+0000: 2170: warning : x86Decode:1347 : Preferred CPU model
SandyBridge not allowed by hypervisor; closest supported model will be
used
2013-06-19 02:44:46.640+0000: 2170: warning : virCgroupMoveTask:887
: no vm cgroup in controller 3
2013-06-19 02:44:46.640+0000: 2170:
warning : virCgroupMoveTask:887 : no vm cgroup in controller
4
2013-06-19 02:44:46.640+0000: 2170: warning : virCgroupMoveTask:887 :
no vm cgroup in controller 6

Cheers,
Tudor.

On 2013-06-19 11:47, Hua
BJ Zhang wrote:

> Hi tudor,
>
> seems that your vm doesn't have the
nic. so suggest you check the log of hypervisor.

> which type of
hypervisor are you using? qemu? pls make sure upgrade the qemu version
into 0.15 just from my experience.

> sudo yum -y install
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6/os/x86_64/Packages/audiofile-0.2.6-11.1.el6.x86_64.rpm
[1]
> sudo yum -y install
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6/os/x86_64/Packages/esound-libs-0.2.41-3.1.el6.x86_64.rpm
[2]
http://pkgs.repoforge.org/qemu/qemu-0.15.0-1.el6.rfx.x86_64.rpm [3]

> Best Regards.
>
> Zhang Hua(张华)

> Cloud Solutions
and OpenStack Development
> IBM China System and Technology Lab(CSTL),
Beijing
> E-Mail: zhhuabj at cn.ibm.com
> Tel: 86-10-82452020
> Address:
Building 28(Ring Building), ZhongGuanCun Software Park,
> No.8 Dong Bei
Wang West Road, Haidian District Beijing P.R.China 100193

> tudor
---06/19/2013 09:16:48 AM--- Hi,

> From: tudor
> To: ,
> Date:
06/19/2013 09:16 AM
> Subject: [Openstack] ip: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such
device
> Sent by: "Openstack"
> -------------------------
>
> Hi,
>

> I've asked this question a few times on the IRC channel, and I have
an open question on ask.openstack.org but so far noone has managed to
answer it successfully.

> I have installed OpenStack Grizzly on
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with Quantum and it is up to date with the Ubuntu
OpenStack respository.

> I have a simple problem: the network
interface is not being created when an instance starts up. Horizon seems
to think that the interface is correct. It lists:

---------------
> Officenet
>
> However, in the logs of the instance I
get:

> ip: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
>
> ...and the only
interface that exists inside the instance is lo.

> I don't appear to
get any obvious errors in any of the quantum or nova logs.

believe that quantum is supposed to create a tap port on the OVS bridge
specified by externel_network_bridge (br-eth1), but this is not
happening. The network physical port connected via eth1 has a hardware
DHCP server on it, but it doesn't appear to assigning a network device
on that bridge, so the DHCP request is not being forwarded.

> I have
included my quantum config, l3_agent.ini, and the output of ovs-vsctl as
I guess these are the most appropriate. (Removing commented-out
defaults)

> Other than solving my particular problem, I'm also
trying to understand the process that occurs here. What service
(nova/quantum/something else?) actually creates the port on the OVS
bridge and links it to the instance's virtual network device?

Thanks for the help,
> Tudor.
>
> Quantum.conf
>
> =========

[DEFAULT]
> # Show more verbose log output (sets INFO log level
output)
> verbose = True
>
> # Show debugging output in logs (sets
DEBUG log level output)
> debug = True
>
> # Address to bind the API
server
> bind_host = 0.0.0.0
>
> # Port the bind the API server to

bind_port = 9696

> # Quantum plugin provider module

core_plugin =
quantum.plugins.openvswitch.ovs_quantum_plugin.OVSQuantumPluginV2

# Paste configuration file
> api_paste_config =
/etc/quantum/api-paste.ini

> # The strategy to be used for auth.
> #
Supported values are 'keystone'(default), 'noauth'.
> auth_strategy =
keystone

> # AMQP exchange to connect to if using RabbitMQ or QPID

> control_exchange = quantum
>
> # If passed, use a fake RabbitMQ
provider
> fake_rabbit = False
>
> # IP address of the RabbitMQ
installation
> rabbit_host = 10.0.0.1
> # Password of the RabbitMQ
server

System Options =====================

> # Notifications can be sent
when network/subnet/port are create, updated or deleted.
> # There are
four methods of sending notifications, logging (via the
> # log_file
directive), rpc (via a message queue),
> # noop (no notifications sent,
the default) or list of them

> # Defined in notifier api

notification_driver = quantum.openstack.common.notifier.list_notifier

> # Defined in list_notifier
>
> list_notifier_drivers =
quantum.openstack.common.notifier.rabbit_notifier

> [QUOTAS]

L3_agent.ini

> ========
>
> [DEFAULT]
>
> # OVS

interface_driver = quantum.agent.linux.interface.OVSInterfaceDriver
> #
LinuxBridge
> #interface_driver =
quantum.agent.linux.interface.BridgeInterfaceDriver

> # The Quantum
user information for accessing the Quantum API.
http://10.0.0.1:35357/v2.0 [4]
> auth_region = RegionOne

admin_tenant_name = service
> admin_user = quantum
> admin_password =
password

> # Use "sudo quantum-rootwrap /etc/quantum/rootwrap.conf"
to use the real
> # root filter facility.
> # Change to "sudo" to skip
the filtering and just run the comand directly
> root_helper = sudo
/usr/bin/quantum-rootwrap /etc/quantum/rootwrap.conf

> # Allow
overlapping IP (Must have kernel build with CONFIG_NET_NS=y and
> #
iproute2 package that supports namespaces).
> # use_namespaces = True

use_namespaces = False

> # If use_namespaces is set as False then
the agent can only configure one router.
> # This is done by setting the
specific router_id.
> # router_id =
> router_id =
e263323d-ad1d-4930-8739-ebf80cef3f96

> # Each L3 agent can be
associated with at most one external network. This
> # value should be
set to the UUID of that external network. If empty,
> # the agent will
enforce that only a single external networks exists and
> # use that
external network id
> # gateway_external_net_id =

gateway_external_net_id = e1bbbcb1-e20d-48e5-ae89-823c1a485625

> #
Indicates that this L3 agent should also handle routers that do not have

> # an external network gateway configured. This option should be
True only
> # for a single agent in a Quantum deployment, and may be
False for all agents
> # if all routers must have an external network
gateway
> # handle_internal_only_routers = True
>
> # Name of bridge
used for external network traffic. This should be set to
> # empty value
for the linux bridge
> # external_network_bridge = br-ex

external_network_bridge = br-eth1

> # IP address used by Nova
metadata server
> # metadata_ip =
> metadata_ip = 10.0.0.1
>
> # TCP
Port used by Nova metadata server
> # metadata_port = 8775
>
> # The
time in seconds between state poll requests
> # polling_interval = 3
>

> ovs-vsctl show
>
> =========
>
> # ovs-vsctl show