[Openstack] Can I run qemu-kvm in an OpenStack Instance

Daniel Ellison daniel at syrinx.net
Mon Jun 17 18:31:53 UTC 2013

On Jun 17, 2013, at 1:59 PM, Scott Moser <smoser at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> I saw this thread, and was about to respond, but Robert Collin's response
> was correct:
>
>  install linux-image-generic, it will bring in
>  linux-image-extra-$version-generic which has kvm.
>
> Alternatively, just:
>   apt-get install linux-image-virtual-extra
>
> I think that then you have to do a 'modprobe kvm_intel ; modprobe kvm_amd'
> also, but a reboot would also fix it.  The reason you have to modprobe is
> that the udev events that would fire to automatically load those modules
> have already fired on boot.
>
> Then, happily use kvm.  I use kvm all the time in nested virt on
> openstack.  Now, if I could only get an instance that supported nested
> virt from a public cloud provider that would ROCK ...  I'd happily pay
> additional $/hr for 'm1.large-nested-virt' type.
>
> Robert / HP / dreamhost / Rackspace are you listening?

That's great information, and a good validation that it is possible. Thanks!

I did end up installing linux-image-extra-virtual and it brought in KVM. It SEEMS that everything is working, but my veewee attempts all end at "Done typing." (That may not be the exact wording.) And yes, I did the modprobing.

Oddly, when I set up a real machine with a veewee environment and tried the same thing, I got the same result. So it's probably not the nested virt that is the issue here. That's why I stopped posting about it here. It's no longer OpenStack-related (it was barely that to start with! :))

This page: http://www.cberendt.de/2013/03/usage-of-nested-virtualization-inside-instances says that I need to set libvirt_cpu_mode to host-passthrough in nova.conf. I did that, rebooted all nova-* services and rebooted the guest, but I never saw the stuff in dmesg that it claims I should. Ah well, I'll keep plodding on until it works.

Thanks for your input!
Daniel