[Openstack] Load Balancers for Swift with nginx and pound

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Fri Jun 14 14:08:31 UTC 2013

Also, just as general info, don't use nginx in front of Swift. nginx buffers request bodies, and that can become very problematic when uploading content into the Swift cluster (especially since the body could be up to 5GB--not too many of those requests and you'll overload your nginx box).

Second, the inconsistency of the listings shouldn't be affected by your load balancer or proxy server. It's probably the result of Swift's eventual consistency model. If Swift was not able to update the account listings on container create, it will still return success to the client (for the container create), but it will queue the listing update to be performed later. THere is an updater process that runs to keep listings in sync and handle these situations. This is most obvious (ie you're most likely to see it) if you have had a failure in your cluster (eg network down or hard drive fail) and are trying to get the info after the failure has been restored but before the updater has done its work. SInce there are 3 copies of your account in the cluster, each with a listing of the containers, one may be out of sync. Perhaps you created a container while one of those drives was unavailable. The background replication and updater processes will take care of getting your listings back into a consistent state. Make sure they are running, and check the logs to see if there are any problems.

--John