[Openstack] Can I run qemu-kvm in an OpenStack Instance

laclasse laclasse at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 04:24:51 UTC 2013

Yes, the Ubuntu cloud image is made to run as a guest atop an hypervisor
and it makes sense to optimize it by removing the unlikely needed modules
that usually require hardware to run (nested virt is not yet common). Scott
Moser may confirm/infirm.

Maybe you can try installing the 'normal' kernel on your guest that has the
vmx flag exported in its vm config and try loading it again. On that Ubuntu
guest, you can also install "cpu-checker" that gives you a 'kvm-ok' cli:
# kvm-ok
INFO: /dev/kvm exists
KVM acceleration can be used

Hope this helps.