[Openstack] Can I run qemu-kvm in an OpenStack Instance

Daniel Ellison daniel at syrinx.net
Thu Jun 13 20:36:28 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I want to use veewee to create custom images for use in OpenStack. The catch here is that I want to run veewee in an OpenStack VM. I almost have everything working. The only catch is that qemu-kvm won't run.

I've done lots of research and I believe I need what's called nested KVM. I get "Y" when I do a

    cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested

on the host machine, so it's already enabled.

libvirtd is already running on the guest. Is there anything else I need to do to get this going? When I try to manually start qemu-kvm it simple says "start: Job failed to start". A "sudo modprobe kvm" comes back with "FATAL: Module kvm not found." Same for kvm_intel.

This is obviously a case of ignorance on my part. But I've spent the whole day trying to get this running. Can someone point me in the right direction? I know this isn't strictly an OpenStack issue, but I'm hoping someone here has come across this issue in the past.

Thanks,
Daniel